The King Daniel (KD) Thompson House – McKinney, TX
November 28, 2020
McKinney, TX Offered for sale at $1,300,000
The King Daniel (KD) Thompson house was built in 1903 by Frances Gibbons Abernathy Thompson and husband King Daniel “K.D.” Thompson. Frances’ father was William Meshack Abernathy, one of Collin County’s first attorneys, and patriarch of the prominent, lawyer-filled Abernathy family whose legacy remains in McKinney to this day.
Key stats: 4 houses off downtown (1 minute walk to downtown), .60 acres (large lot), oversized garage (750 sq feet with guest house), 5,237 sq feet (6 bed, 5.5 bath) with 12 foot ceilings, Parking: 2 car garage, 2 car port, 3 additional parking spots)
Main House: Folk Victorian
Exterior- All of the exterior siding was replaced with historic wood siding and plywood and new insulation. Historic architectural details were added to put the house back in old times. Foam insulation added to attic and crawlspace. All new paint and trim.
• Front porch: 3 historic period gas lanterns with multiple seating, 3 fans.
• 2 Gazebos- Restored with historic architectural details added, painted.
• Fence: $35K fence and parking gate
• Foundation: $25K in foundation work, 2 sump pumps added, retaining wall, French drains, gutters added.
• Electrical: New electrical panel, new electrical added (where possible), historic period electrical switches.
• Plumbing: New plumbing (where possible); new tankless water heater in attic
• A/C: 5 HVACs on the property; 3 new ones.
• Insulation: $15K- Foamed attic and underbelly of house
• Sprinklers: $10K- Brand new sprinklers in front yard
• Garage- Oversized at 750 sq feet, large living area with cast iron claw tub bathroom; newly painted.
Interior: The entire house was updated and historically inspired crown molding was added everywhere. 90s addition also includes early 1900s McKinney 3.25 pine to match the house to make seamless, original woodwork (never painted) and 9-foot doors utilized throughout the whole house.
• Foyer: 1 of 3 unique fireplaces with marble, original woodwork, shiplap, and custom Emily Ziz hydrangea wallpaper. Original sliding doors.
• Parlor: 2 of 3 unique fireplaces with marble, added brick accent wall, historic period chandelier. Original sliding doors, stained original shiplap
• Guest room: This was room was off the original porch and closed in by Frances Abernathy to be her “painting room.” Fully restored and guest bathroom updated.
• Dining room: Large dining room, Cole & Son Hummingbirds wallpaper, antique fireplace added, bar added with glass tile, historic period chandeliers, and original painted shiplap.
• Formal living room: 3 of 3 unique fireplaces with marble, original painted shiplap.
• Kitchen: Large kitchen in the heart of the house, custom cabinets with French inspiration- Benjamin Moore Picnic Basket paint color and detailed wood, La Cornue CornuFe 110 Range (made in France), oversized island, quartzite counters (real stone), brass fixtures, counter depth Samsung refrigerator and Kitchen Aid dishwasher (custom cabinets, 2nd sink, garage cabinets for coffee bar and microwave, large custom pantry with a lot of storage, large break nook with brick accent walls.
• Keeping room (2nd living room): 2 large 300 Flemish (Belgium windows) added and antique fireplace.
• Butler’s pantry: Custom butler’s pantry with marble. Exquisite Emily Ziz wallpaper.
• Half bath: Caitlin Wilson wallpaper, custom scalloped cabinet, brass Swan sink.
• Master Suite: Large master suite Colefax Bowood Wallpaper, French inspired with Benjamin Moore Glass Slipper paint. Unique custom built bookshelves (hidden closet), large office with custom bookshelves and woodwork, very large master closet with custom cabinets to maximize storage
• Master bathroom: HUGE with all marble hexagonal and subway tiles, marble counter tops with custom scalloped counters, large marble shower with 2 heads, private toilet room, original cast iron tub, chrome fixtures (period like), historic lighting.
• Mudroom: Caitlin Wilson wallpaper, 3 lockers with drawers, desk, an
- Former Inn
- 6 Guest Rooms
- 6 Guest Room Baths
- Has Owner’s Quarters
- Built in 1903
- Last Renovated in 2020
- Building is 5,237 SQFT
- Lot is 0.64 Acres
- Photo Gallery